Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Reviews

I guess the title speaks for itself. This blog thing is kinda new, so I guess they are more like my thoughts on things.

Knocked Up-- I really liked this movie. It was funny and gross and sweet all at the same time. I'll admit, unlike most people, I liked The 40 Year Old Virgin (also directed by Judd Apatow) better. In that movie, pretty much everything that surrounded Steve Carrell symbolized how naive he was, how he hadn't matured, like he stopped growing up during puberty without that right of passage. That's what made the ending so great, although most of the people I know just didn't get it. I didn't really see that kind of thing in this movie and I guess I kind of missed that. I loved all the Freaks and Geeks alums, though. Especially Martin Starr. He was always my favorite on that show, and it was really good to see him again. I guess that was half Knocked Up half 40 Year Old Virgin.

Austenland by Shannon Hale-- I'll admit it, I love chicklit. Not necessarily the name, but the type of writing, the romantic comedy things. Anything with a Mr. Darcy type (Bridget Jones). And I did enjoy this, I listened to audiobook, which is so much easier to do at work. The narrarator was mostly good. Her Martin was absolutely horrible, although I can see her reasoning to make all the voices sound different, but I couldn't stand it any time he showed up, which probably wouldn't have been that way if I had read the book. The elderly aunt also sounded way to young. The book itself isn't bad, it is a big suspension of disbelief. But if you can forget about the setting and just focus on the main characters, it is a fun distraction. I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. It was perfect for a workday listen.

Ready, Set, Knit-- I love this podcast. It is well formatted, split up into three sections, it consists of the upcoming events at the store, Webs, and the yarns. Followed by an interview and then a knitalong or informative session with Pixie, who works store (I think). Cathie and Steve are personable, and really seem to like the work that they do. It's not a personal diary on knitting like most knitting podcasts seem to be (not that I don't like them). Cathie and Steve get good people interview, the knitalongs are as informative as you can be while listening to knitting talk and they are both enjoyable enough that it works on it's main point, which is letting people know about their yarn store. I look forward to my new Ready, Set, Knit podcast every Saturday.

That's it for today on the reviews. My gosh I'm a bit of talker, not that you'd ever know that if you met me in person.

No comments: